Monday, March 18, 2013

Reader Discussion




Alex MacLean -


Before this last class i thought that i know a little about lake Okeechobee but i guess not. i don't know about the waterways and how big it really was. The questions that were asked by some of the groups that got people talking  was asked more than once, was how does one species effect another species. And it is interesting to think that humans could go away tomorrow and all other animals would live on.  
















Lauren Jump - 

I was pretty impressed that we made it through a whole book in one day.  The Lake Okeechobee information blew me away.  I’m embarrassed I didn't know about the way this body of water previously moved and how it does now and how it is hurting our state so immensely.  The Everglades restoration is a great project that I hope will be carried out completely.  


Historic, current, and planned flow of water through the greater Everglades ecosystem.


Ishadeen Abreu - 

During last week’s class a lot of good class discussions arose  from the presentations.  One that really sparked my interest was the question about if  a certain species became  extinct what would it affect.  Right away we determined if all the humans were to become extinct no other animals would be affected. If anything I think the world will go back into the natural order of things just as it was before we were even present on the earth. The popular answer was something as simple as the bee. If the bee became extinct, humans would cease to exist.  That’s crazy to think that a little bee affects so much.






Calvin Thornton - 


I always knew that this was not a land in which people were supposed to live, but I've never had that belief confirmed quite so firmly. If an entire region has to be drained of water, plant life, and animals, and if the entire time swarms of angry insects are attacking the people draining it, people probably shouldn't live there. I am not exaggerating when I say that I truly hope the everglades (swamp) reclaims itself all the way back to where it was before. Something about living in a place where the environment will reclaim your entire neighborhood if left alone for two years makes me want to move away. And I do hold the same opinion as other classmates that if people were to go extinct, the only animals that would mourn would probably be dogs, for maybe a couple of years.






Anna Dyson - 

I thought it was interesting learning about the origin of the name "Everglades". I can not imagine the Everglades being called the "River Glades". The fact that a decent amount of the Florida everglades has not been explored is awesome to me. It makes it so mysterious and wondrous. Man tends to think they know everything and have it all figured out, but they still don't know how the Everglades, and its ecosystems, fully work.This wet and tropical climate is not just a swamp, but a beautiful place to still be explored. 




No comments:

Post a Comment